Thursday, February 10, 2011

Introducing...William (STEPLIGHT) POLITE

So... normally a male ancestor doesn't have  a "maiden" name or an additional last name, but this ancestor is a little different.

William STEPLIGHT POLITE is my maternal grandfather. He was born 27 Mar 1925 in Mckeesport, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. According to family members, he was born to Thomas STEPLIGHT and Elouise "Honey" DRAYTON, but I have yet to confirm that information.

At some point in his life, possibly before he joined the United States Navy, he changed his last name from STEPLIGHT to POLITE. No one can tell me why exactly, so that's what I'm trying to figure out now.

I've already requested his military records to gain some insight into his military life. I am in the process of ordering additional vital records and checking the 1930 census to see if I can find him or his relatives.

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much welcome but please keep it *nice* as this is a family blog.